Shock is when the camper suffers from insufficient blood flow throughout the body. Shock often accompanies a severe injury or illness. It is a serious medical condition and requires immediate treatment. 


When experiencing shock, the patient will feel weak and may faint. The skin becomes cold, clammy and pale. The pulse is weak and rapid. If pressure is applied to a fingernail or earlobe, it will not regain its colour immediately. Other symptoms include thirst, nausea, and vomiting. Shock can be more serious than the injury itself.


Consider the following:

  • Do not let the camper move unnecessarily, eat, drink, or smoke,
  • Do not leave the camper unattended – reassure constantly,
  • Treat all injuries that may be the source – external bleeding, breathing difficulties, fractures, etc.
  • Lay the casualty down – keep the head and chest lower, and raise and support the legs.
  • Loosen tight clothing – to reduce constriction at the neck, chest and waist, 
  • Keep the person warm – find shelter, 
  • If unconscious – place the camper in a recovery position to prevent choking on blood or vomit,
  • Record breathing, pulse and level of response,
    • Be prepared to resuscitate the camper.


No responses yet

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *





Many of our adventures and random thoughts are captured with video and available on our YouTube channel


Don’t miss anything, 
Subscribe to our newsletter today.